With a day of warm tempatures I spent the day planning out this years gardening attempt and cleaning up some of last years remains. The scarecrow came down, some tomato stakes that stood abandoned finally got pulled up, a soaker hose completely lost to weeds was recovered and the pepper plants that look like skeletons got torn from the ground. I had hoped to winter the peppers, but I had to go to Vegas before I managed to get them covered up and safe from the few days of freezing weather.
This year I am going to spread out some and till up two more areas for growing. One will have tomatoes only and I haven't decided on the other one. Either green beans or squash I am not sure which yet. The tomatoes have to go somewhere else. Luci thinks they will get tomato blight if we plant them in the same area again. I figure around 120 square feet should be enough for the tomatoes. We will actually have less tomatoes, but I think we will get more out of them if they are spread out and easier to get to. Last year we couldn't barely get into the rows once the pants got big and it made picking them a huge hassle. The longer they stayed on the vine the more damage form bugs.
I need to get the tiller going and get everything tilled under a couple times before planting time come around. I had the chickens in the garden to tear everything up and add a little fertilizer before I moved them back to the yard, but I will probably buy a little bit of manure and maybe some compost to add to soil. I should plant a cover crop, but I never get around to it.