Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Heat & Meat

With a quick cold front destroying my cucumbers, green beans and the last of the tomatoes things have been slow lately, but there are other things I have been trying to get done. This is an old beech tree I have finally gotten around to sawing up for fire wood.  I have two of these and a Walnut tree to get to, but I should have cut them up much sooner and we will end up buying at least some firewood.  This might be ok, later in the winter if I can get it split and put up.  I used a cheap electric chainsaw and a generator to cut this thing up.  The key with a cheap saw is to keep the file close at hand and sharpen it often.


The main happing around here is that I finally got my first deer.  A little doe.  I was just happy to hit what I was shooting at.  I had fired a few practice shots, and they were about four inches low so the first thing I shot at I aimed a little high, but not enough and I put a slug into the leg of tripod stand that holds up the corn feeder.   My practice shots had only been about seventy yards and the feeder is about a hundred and twenty yards from the house.  So I had to aim even higher and I finally hit it.  It went straight through, but didn't drop it so I had to wait an hour and track it into the woods.  It hadn't got very far before it collapsed.

I carried it back to house and strung it up so Luci and I could skin it.  Since I had no idea what I was doing and since Luci hadn't done it since she was a teenager we had to get mom's to tell us how to get started.  I thought getting the skin off was the most disgusting thing I had ever done until I had to reach in to get some of the guts out and I lost my lunch all over the place.  Luckily I managed not to barf on the meat.  I have now come to have a new Indian name.  Puking Bear.  We got it skinned and cut up.  Tonight we ate some of the loin which was fantastic.  Nothing tastes better than death. Even though I will probably puke my way through gutting the next one I will probably try again this weekend.  If I can't bring myself to do at least do some of the killing and cleaning I should become a vegetarian.

2 comments:

  1. I helped skin a deer and then tanned it's hide with it's brains in high school. It was an experience that I never wish to repeat, but I can say I've done it ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitely the most disgusting thing I have ever done, but I do plan on doing it again. Hard to pass up all that free range, organic and ,except for that moment when the bullet rips through it, cruelty free meat just wandering around the back yard. In high school I would have thought it was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard of.

    ReplyDelete