Sunday, January 16, 2011

Back to the farm

After a month in Vegas, getting a few other things done, everyone being sick and a week of total slacking I need to turn my attention back to the garden and all things agricultural.  Hunting season is completely over including black powder season, I don't own  a musket anyway, but of course the deer come in herd every evening behind the house. Now that I have some deer meat in the freezer it would be nice to get a little swine.  For one you need to mix a little fat into the ground meat in order to make decent burgers.  The deer is just to lean for that.  I tightened the line on the pig trap and have been dumping corn in, but so far they haven't set it off.  I am going to have to set up a camera in order to determine if it is pigs, raccoons or squirrels that have been eating the corn and apples.

As for growing all I have left is my carrots.  The neat little rows are still slowly growing.  I had been building a quick little hot house for my peppers to try to keep them alive until spring, but my wife got sick right before I went to Vegas and didn't have time to finish.  I will probably finish it now and use it to start off some early plants because we are sure to have more freezing before it is actually time to plant anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment