Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The kids are eating as fast as it gets ripe.

Everything is growing really fast now. The cucumbers are growing so fast that every few days we find a small pickling cucumber that is way bigger than we would normally pick it and eat it. We have had a couple of green bean dishes with dinner and the girls eat the tomatoes and cucumbers with a little salt within an hour of most pickings. That is, if I can keep them from munching the veggies still warm from the sun in our garden.

One of the corn stalks has a little baby corn wrapped up in a husk. A few other stalks have that silky looking stuff that preceeds the corn. I can't wait to have fresh corn cooked on the grill or roasted in the husk. I know the girls will love it. They are so much more excited about eating veggies fresh from the ground than they are from the store.

Most of the stuff you get in the store doesn't even begin to hold up against what you grow, but if you're not around the good stuff, you forget. A couple of days ago I was walking through the garden and I was overwhelmed by the smell. I could instantly remember being in my grandparents' garden as kid, which is kinda odd cause my memory blows chunks and I didn't spend much time in there when we were kids. We usually went to Delano for a week at Easter and a week in the summer as I recall.

I am not sure how it is that tomatoes in the store don't smell. Why is that? Where did the smell go?

No comments:

Post a Comment