Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Chicktrac 3000

I got the new chicken tractor in the yard today and divided up the chickens.  This one is shorter and wider than the first with a door in the house part.  I gave this one a coat of verithane that I had left over from when I refinished the hardwood floors.  I couldn't bring myself to buy the kind of water seal that goes on decks when I had this almost full can rusting on the back porch.  I would have waited and added a piece to keep the food off the ground so that I didn't have to pick it up each time, but I thought it was about to rain.

I put the five road island reds and the five dominickers in the new one.  At first I just started grabbing the closest chicken, but then I remembered what happen last time.  I figure if I keep the numbers even maybe they won't attack each other.  Like prison gangs and nuclear weapons it's best if both sides are a even.

2 comments:

  1. So THAT's what a chicken tractor is!
    Why do they call it a "tractor"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't know why it is called a chicken tractor other than you move it every day. It is possible that some people make them large enough that you have to drag it with a tractor. You could use .065 tube steel and weld one together that would be twenty feet long and eight feet wide with a lot of chickens inside. They do kinda mow the lawn as they go so maybe chicken mower is a better term.

    ReplyDelete